Monday, September 7, 2009

Creation

All right, so I'm going to have to admit that I never actually got any sewing done yesterday. I had the best of intentions! I cut out the pattern, anyway, but never quite got up the energy to get the pattern properly ready or cut out the fabric, which I always find the most enormous chore. But it was very nice to sit around in my warm living room all day while it poured rain outside and not have to worry about getting too much done. I watched Elizabeth: The Golden Age and a couple of episodes of The West Wing, and made jewellery.

This is a pendant that's going to be attached to a chain, but I haven't got any chains that will work so I might venture out and find one today. Don't bet on that, though. I'm rather pleased with it. I was going for a sort of mishmash cobbled together look of different elements, and I'm not sure that's what I got but I like it anyway. The picture in the frame says "victoria," I cut it out of National Geographic. I made a couple of earrings, too (not matching ones), but I couldn't get my camera to take a good photo of them (the camera is definitely on its way out).

I always make jewellery just because I want new jewellery and don't think it's worth buying it, but there is definitely a certain pleasure in creating something. Sewing is about beginning from scratch, something flat that can then be given shape and some element of personality. Jewellery is more to do with taking different pieces that already have personality on their own, and seeing how they fit together. Two very different kinds of creation, but they both satisfy the need to make things.

I may not have done any sewing, but I did read! I'm very much starting to get into Brideshead Revisited, and you'll no doubt hear about it very soon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails