Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bookstore by chance

The best bookshops are often the ones you find by accident. I was wandering down Broadway on the way to the bead shop, saw a sign on the sidewalk for Pilot Books, and had to go into the building, up the stairs, and into the shop, just to see what it was. I'm quite well acquainted with Broadway, so this shop must be pretty new, though I haven't really been in the neighbourhood in a while. Pilot Books' main point is that it sells nothing but books by independent publishers.

It's a tiny little place, pleasant and calm with music playing in the background. The shelves are hung from the ceiling on wires, just an odd little detail that added to the charm. There's not a lot of stock, shelves for fiction, nonfiction, essays, poetry, and graphic novels, but absolutely all of it looks fascinating and I would have bought all kinds of things were I not a penniless college student. Lots of the books have little cards in them that say something about what makes the book interesting, such as "local author," "haha," "GLBTQ," or "hot damn," (the last of which I can only assume just means it's a very impressive book), which is a nice touch.

I love that there are bookshops like this opening even in unfortunate financial times, standing up for the little guys in publishing and selling all the quirky, "unsellable" books. I know most people who pass by this blog probably don't live in Seattle and won't have the chance to visit this shop, but I thought I'd mention it all the same and get it out into the world a little more. Next time I have some money I don't feel guilty spending unnecessarily, I'll definitely be stopping by Pilot Books.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails