Saturday, August 28, 2010

Review: I ♥ Macarons

I first discovered macarons over at Paris Breakfasts. They're a bizarrely alluring confection--colourful, flavourful, and unusual. They are not macaroons. A while ago I finally got to taste them, at the French bakery in Pike Place Market, Le Panier. They're not quite cake and not quite candy. But I admit, they cost more than I really want to spend on sweets, and for I while I've been contemplating trying to make them. In quest of this, I ordered I ♥ Macarons, by Hisako Ogita, from the library.
The book's quest is to make macarons seem doable in your own kitchen, and it does manage to make them seem a little less daunting. It's only three ingredients, after all--ground almonds, powdered sugar, and egg whites, plus whatever ordinary frosting or jam you want to put in the middle. This is a lovely little book with great photographs of what is obviously an eminently photogenic food, and I hope I get around to making use of it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails