Sunday, October 11, 2009

20th Century Experimental Drama #2

It's been a few days since I posted, hasn't it. School is, predictably, intruding, though it's not too bad. I haven't really read anything not for class, I must admit, though I'm not sure that's because I haven't had time. More because I'm always too tired at the end of the day to do anything but sit mindlessly in front of the computer.

For class, I read Six Characters in Search of an Author, by Luigi Pirandello. Yet another weird, kind of surreal, play. A theatre company is rehearsing a play (which also happens to be by Pirandello...) when six Characters come into the theatre looking for an author, someone to write their play.

I've already written a three page essay about this play, so I'm a bit burnt out on writing about it, but suffice it to say I really want to see it produced. It's extremely layered, there are multiple realities, and you're never quite sure what's real or what could be real. It actually reminds me a lot of the play we did last June, Tom Stoppard's The Read Inspector Hound, in being about multiple layers of theatre.

I'm also reading pieces of The Odyssey, so expect to hear about that at some point as well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails