Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cosy reading

The last two nights we've had thunder and lightning, ridiculous amounts of hail, torrents of rain. We have also had brilliant sunshine, mind you, but the stormy weather has put me in quite the reading mood. Fortunately I've already done most of my homework for the weekend, so I will even have time! What do I have on the table?

Clouds of Witness, by Dorothy L. Sayers. This is my second Lord Peter Wimsey novel, and it is definitely upholding the interest sparked by the first one. I would go so far to say that it is better than the first one. Unsurprising, as that one was just introducing the characters; with the second novel it's really got into the swing of things, Lord Peter can be further explored, we meet more of his family, and so on. I'll have more to say on the book when I finish it; at the moment I'm a little less than halfway through. But maybe I can finish it this weekend! Crossing fingers.

I have not started, but am eagerly looking forward to The Children's Book, by A.S. Byatt. It is sitting, a noticeable presence, on a chair in the living room, waiting for me. I gather it is about all sorts of things, children's books, a family, pottery, changing times, and lots else besides. I read A.S. Byatt's Possession a few years ago and loved it entirely (and thus hated most of the movie), and her writing in general is wonderful. I started The Biographer's Tale a while ago and didn't finish it, but it's still on one of my shelves so maybe I'll get back to it eventually. I do hope so.

So that's what's on the table. I may also finish Daphnis and Chloe. I've read three quarters of it, and half to read the last for next Wednesday for class, so maybe I'll get ahead and finish it. I'm definitely going to talk about that one when I do, since I find it fascinating and lovely.

So that's what's on the table for my weekend, besides drinking lots of tea, seeing the same play twice (Lebensraum by Israel Horowitz, and maybe I'll review it), and buying non-holey jeans.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails