Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Book meme

Here's a meme which as been floating around the book blogs.

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Tea if it's just after breakfast. Water or maybe lemonade any other time of day.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I post-it note sometimes. I don't write in books, though I sometimes wish I did. I like buying used books which other people have written in.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat?
Bookmark. Periodically I always seem to come by big stacks of bookmarks from some promotional thing, so currently I'm working my way through bookmarks from the first Narnia movie, and a few left over from the stack of Lord of the Rings bookmarks I acquired when I was about twelve. If I don't have a proper bookmark to hand I use scraps of paper.

Fiction, non-fiction or both?
I love non-fiction, but always kind of forget about this in between reading it. Probably most of what I read is fiction.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?
I can stop anywhere, but I like to read to the end of a section or chapter if I can.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
I'm pretty sure I've never flung a book. I can usually tell pretty fast if I'm not going to like it, and then I give up on it. There are too many good books to read the bad ones.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
Only if I have a dictionary easily accessible. Usually I have a vague enough idea of what the word means to carry on without looking it up.

What are you currently reading?
I'm in the middle of Victorian Visitors, but I haven't read it in a while. Having just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, I have yet to start anything else.

What is the last book you bought?
It might have been The Post-Office Girl, by Stefan Zweig. Not sure.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read?
I often sit in my bean bag chair just before bed time to read, when I'm getting all sleepy and comfortable. I don't mind much where I read, though.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
I like series, but find them vaguely stressful sometimes. Mostly I read stand-alones. The only series I'm trying to work through at the moment is the Lord Peter Wimsey novels.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
I recommend Tam Lin endlessly, and I seem to have recommended To Say Nothing of the Dog a lot lately.

How do you organise your books (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)?
Erm, I sort of don't... I mean, I have a Tolkien shelf, and all the Jane Austen is in the same place, but other than that...

Background noise or silence?
At home NPR is nearly always on in the background, which I'm kind of immune to. It depends on my mood, the music, and the book, but I don't mind background noise.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails