Friday, December 5, 2008

Handsome, clever, and rich

I've been reading Emma. I meant to read Mansfield Park, since I've already started it, but then I was going to Chandra's house and wanted something to read on the bus, and I couldn't for the life of me find Mansfield Park so I took Emma instead. I'm enjoying it immensely, which I didn't expect at all (I think the Gwyneth Paltrow film version ruined me a little--I loathe Gwyneth Paltrow for inexplicable reasons), but I'm actually more absorbed by it than any other Jane Austen I've read, to my recollection. It has more variety than I think Pride and Prejudice really does, and I think I've come to really appreciate Jane Austen's writing more than I used to. She really is terribly witty. She is also incredibly good at giving you little hints about who people are and what they feel, which if I didn't know the plot I would never catch. The progression of love in her books is extremely natural, which is a lot of what makes them so good. Anyway, I am reading it to the detriment of my Senior Lit book (The Beans of Egypt, Maine).

I am also reading Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, which is entirely enjoyable.

1 comment:

StuckInABook said...

What a wonderful combination! Emma and Miss P. You're so right about Jane Austen - the wit and subtle hints at what a character is like. I haven't read Emma since 2003, so I think a re-read it coming on...
Simon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails