Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy Twelfth Night!

It's the first week of winter quarter, so I'm a little distracted with settling into classes and whatnot. I'm taking an intro linguistics class, astrobiology, and German 102, and I'm quite excited about all of it.

In honour of today's holiday (though it's late in the day, I know), I'm going to quote some of my favourite lines from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. Which, really, has no relevance to the holiday. (Yes this is a filler post. Just letting you know I'm still here. And Shakespeare's always worth quoting.) I've seen Twelfth Night in five different productions, one of which I worked on (and thus saw countless times), so it's a play I'm extremely familiar with. I don't know that it's one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, but it's definitely got sentimental value for me.

Orsino:

If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die. (I.i.)

Malvolio:
But be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. (II.v.)


Viola:
A blank, my lord. She never told her love
But let concealment, like a worm i' the bud,
Feed on her damask cheek: she pined in thought,
And with a green and yellow melancholy
She sat like patience on a monument,
Smiling at grief. Was not this love indeed?
We men may say more, swear more: but indeed
Our shows are more than will; for still we prove
Much in our vows, but little in our love. (II.iv.)

Olivia:
O, sir, I will not be so hard-hearted; I will give
out divers schedules of my beauty: it shall be
inventoried, and every particle and utensil
labelled to my will: as, item, two lips,
indifferent red; item, two grey eyes, with lids to
them; item, one neck, one chin, and so forth. Were
you sent hither to praise me? (II.iii.)

Feste:
And thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges. (V.i.)

From this copy of the text. Which is missing one of my favourite Sea Captain lines, or I'd have quoted that too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails