Sunday, September 14, 2008

Letters to love of books

I got up this morning, started reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society before breakfast, through breakfast, and onward, and finished it at two o'clock, at which time I realized I'd forgotten all about the concept of lunch. It is totally fabulous. I know everyone else in the book blogging world has already said so, but I definitely feel the need to say it again.

I sort of have to remind myself that it's not real, because it's so much grounded in history and so completely real. I can't think of any other book I've ever read, though I'm sure they exist, that has struck me as being so totally true to life. All the characters are believable and understandable, without being boring, the way they interact very realistic, and their quirks also very real, since few people have none. Even the stranger occurrences, like locking Billee Bee and the parrot in the smokehouse, seem completely possible.

It's written in letters, which I always love (and which I'm planning to do my NaNo this year in), and they do a good job of telling the whole story and not leaving anything out. Plus, I can never resist a book full of so much book love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails