Monday, August 17, 2009

Going back a couple thousand years...

Here are the books I bought for one of my classes, Gender and Sexuality in Greek and Roman Lit. I'm really very excited for this. In case you can't read the titles well, we have...

Metamorphoses by Ovid, Daphnis and Chloe by Longus, The Odyssey by Homer, Women on the Edge: four plays by Euripides, and Games of Venus compiled by Peter Bing.

I'm pretty excited for all of them. I've read a play by Euripides, but not one of the ones in this collection. I'm sorry I haven't read The Illiad before reading Odyssey. I started it but got distracted, though I was quite enjoying it. Games of Venus is an anthology of Greek and Roman erotic poetry, which will no doubt be fascinating (isn't this exactly the sort of thing one is supposed to read the first quarter of college?).

Notice the yellow "used" stickers. I got there early enough to get them used, but they were still somewhere around 80 dollars all together. That's only one class. Oh, textbooks, putting fear in the heart of my wallet.

I've always wanted to read some of the classics (meaning the classical classics, not the English classics), so I'm glad I'm finally getting to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails